This unique learning event includes a 2-day Professional Development opportunity, followed up with an online small group Professional Learning Community (PLC), facilitated by Brett Moulding.
Day 1 will be on Friday evening through a virtual experience and the following day will be in person at SRP from 8-3 pm. The professional development will be delivered by Essential Teaching and Learning, sponsored by SRP and ADE with breakfast and lunch included. This opportunity is designed to engage 6-12th grade educators in professional learning over the course of two days. Follow up with 2-hour afterschool lesson study sessions.
The main facilitator for this opportunity is Brett Moulding, the Director of the Partnership for Effective Science Teaching and Learning. All participants will receive hands-on materials for the two-day professional learning experience, and a copy of Brett Moulding’s recently published book, Engaging Students in Science Investigations Using GRC. All materials will be shared on Saturday at the in-person training.
This professional development will model instruction and provide details and insights from A Framework for K-12 Science Education: Practices, Core Ideas, and Crosscutting Concepts along with Arizona’s 2018 Science Standards
The two-day sessions for 6th-12th grade educators will convene on the following days:
- Virtually: Friday, March 11, 2022 from 4:30-7:30 PM
- In-person: Saturday, March 12, 2022 from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM
**The last day for registration or cancellation for a full refund is February 23, 2022.**
This specific learning experience is designed for 6th-12th grade educators with a separate focus for 6-8 and 9-12.
Participants must attend both days of the Professional Development sessions for this training. Partial credit will not be given. Ten total PD Clock Hours will be provided for participation.
Follow-up Online Professional Learning Communities (PLCs): Participants will have the opportunity to attend follow-up online sessions, facilitated by Brett Moulding, that will focus on supporting educators in developing 3-Dimensional lessons aligned to the Arizona science standards.
Target Audience: 6-8th and 9-12th grade educators
- Participants must attend both PD sessions of this training to receive credit (10 hours). Partial credit will not be given. Also, there will be supplemental online opportunities, and we strongly suggest that you participate in the PLCs. However, clock hours of professional development credit will not be given for supplemental work.
- Schedule conflicts (personal, school, or district) will not be accommodated once the training has begun. Your registration confirms your attendance on both days as scheduled.
- The same person must attend all sessions.
Make-up days will not be rescheduled for missed days due to illness or emergencies and must be communicated with ADE staff immediately.
- Please verify each participant’s accurate e-mail address.
Check-in begins at 8:00 a.m. Workshop: 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. lunch & break will be included
Friday Virtual platform using Zoom (link will be provided to the email provided through the registration)
Saturday: Salt River Project (SRP)
SRP Heritage Center, 1500 North Mill Ave., Tempe, AZ 85281
These sessions will provide teachers with:
- professional development to effectively teach science consistent with the Arizona Science Standards.
- professional learning to help develop a deeper understanding of three-dimensional science teaching and learning.
- After-school lesson development sessions.
- Lesson plans consistent with the AZ science standards and the GRC professional development
- Books and materials for professional development.
- Follow-up and feedback for teachers and instructional support for lesson implementation after the professional development.
Your enrollment is not guaranteed until you confirm your registration and have paid for the event. Payment options include a PO, check, or credit card.
Please add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book to ensure that our emails reach your inbox.
Please check your ADEConnect email address. If it doesn’t match with the email you registered with, it may cause errors and connectivity issues.
When you register for the event, the system will automatically generate an invoice and payment instructions.
The registration cost is $30.00 per person.
- For questions regarding this resource, please contact Arizona Department of Education.
- Contact Name: Sarah Sleasman
- Phone No: 6023642353
- Email Address: Sarah.Sleasman@azed.gov