Pima Community College is offering approved online coursework for the Literacy Endorsement and Dyslexia Designee: EDC 272 (3 cr) Elementary Methods: Reading/Phonics and ESE 272 (3cr) Developmental Reading, Instruction, Assessment and Remediation.
The Arizona legislature recently passed a pair of laws impacting all Arizona pre-service and in-service teachers who provide literacy instruction in grades K-5. Every Arizona teacher who teaches reading in grades K-5 must earn the K-5 Literacy Endorsement.
The Endorsement requires:
- 3 credits of coursework in the science of reading (Part A); and
- 3 credits of coursework in teaching struggling readers (Part B); and
- Passing score on the Arizona Foundations of Reading (AEPA 190) exam.
Teachers who successfully complete Pima’s ADE-approved course work: EDC 272 Elementary Methods: Reading/Phonics (Part A), and ESE 272 Developmental Reading: Instruction, Assessment, Remediation (Part B) satisfy the coursework requirements for the Literacy K-5 Endorsement. In addition, teachers are also eligible to serve as the Dyslexia Designee at their school sites.
Both classes are fully online and offered Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters. Part A must be taken before Part B.
Tucson Values Teachers is providing limited scholarships for educators to attend PD opportunities, if you are interested, click here for more information
- For questions regarding this resource, please contact Pima Community College-Post Degree Certifications/Endorsements.
- Contact Name: Tirza Sanders
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org